For my first smd board, I’m making an emotional board which is alive itself.
The selected parts that I’m using:
- IR distance sensor VL6180X
- regulator 2.7v
- Atmega 328 au
- vibrating motor
The Eagle file
“Print” the circuit
It turned to be the hardest part, and maybe the part that lead to the board’s not working. I’m using atmega which has very tiny pads and they are close to each other. After lower the power, increase the speed and edit the holes in Illustrator to make it small, it still didn’t work well. So I decided to do it with my hands.
And at the heating part, I think I put the heatgun too close to the board which may burnt the sensor and atmega.
Test and add parts
I did the bee test and it was pretty good, much better than I expected. Only 2 pins were touching each other so I scratched it a little bit to solve the problem.
Burn bootloader and program
The power light is on which is a good sign. And I did all the programming part pretty successfully. However, the board is not working. Then I tested the voltage. The sensor is getting the right voltage which is 2.7V. But none of the atmega pin is geting “HIGH” voltage. So my guess is the heatgun probably burnt the chip and the sensor.
I don’t think it’s a good idea to make homemade board using Atmega. Although I get good luck with programming it every time, the pins are too hard to solder and could easily lead to problem. Next time if I need to make a board with ATMEGA, I would either send my design to a factory to make the board with smd version atmega if it’s necessary or use atmega-pu and keep other parts smd. Still need to figure out where is the problem.